- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 25, 2015

NEW YORK (AP) - A Long Island man has been hospitalized after being bit by one of his two rattlesnakes he kept as pets.

The Suffolk County SPCA said Tuesday the victim is recovering but will likely suffer permanent injuries.

Department of Environment Conservation spokeswoman Aphrodite Montalvo told Newsday the 22-year-old victim was handling the 2-foot western diamondback when he was bitten.

She said he put the snake back in its enclosure and passed out. He regained consciousness hours later and called 911.

State officials took possession of the snakes and sent them to a reptile sanctuary out of state.

Roy Gross, chief of the Suffolk County SPCA, reminded residents that the county hosts “amnesty days” at least once a year so residents can turn in wild and exotic animals.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide