- Associated Press - Tuesday, March 3, 2015

GUNTOWN, Miss. (AP) - A federal agency says the company that employed a worker who was electrocuted in an October accident in Guntown failed to provide him with required safety training.

In a Tuesday news release, the Department of Labor said the training could have saved the life of 46-year-old Marvin Reece.

Reece was a maintenance worker at H.M. Richards Inc., a furniture upholstery manufacturer. Authorities said he was electrocuted Oct. 1 as he disconnected wiring on a saw. The department’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigators said the lack of training was one of nine violations of safety standards at the scene.

The company faces $55,100 in proposed penalties, although that could be reduced through a settlement or formal appeal.

The company declined comment pending a review of the OSHA citations.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide