- Associated Press - Tuesday, March 3, 2015

FARGO, N.D. (AP) - A Grand Forks man who was shot by a university police officer over the weekend first attempted to evade other authorities in a high-speed chase and then tried to run officers over, law enforcement officials said Tuesday.

A University of North Dakota police officer shot David Elliott, 41, early Saturday in the parking lot of Altru Hospital. The Grand Forks Police Department released many details about the incident for the first time in a statement Tuesday but did not say what led to the shooting by the UND officer.

Elliott has not been charged with a crime and is being treated at Altru. He has not spoken publicly and a phone number could not be located for him.

Eric Plummer, the University of North Dakota police chief, said at a press conference Tuesday that authorities couldn’t comment on whether charges would be filed against Elliott while the Bureau of Criminal Investigation was looking into the matter. Plummer said that Elliott was not under arrest and that there was not an officer stationed at Altru hospital Tuesday afternoon.

According to the news release, at approximately 10:40 p.m. on Friday, Grand Forks officers responded to a suspicious vehicle call in the parking of a Wells Fargo Bank. After police arrived, they said Elliott, who was driving a black pickup truck, left the area. Police tried to pull him over after they said he committed a traffic violation but didn’t stop.

Police said Elliott led officers on a chase with speeds nearing 100 mph. Officers eventually stopped the chase at the request of the department for public safety reasons.

Then, about two hours later on Saturday morning, Elliot was spotted and police said they believed he was suicidal. Officers from the North Dakota Highway Patrol and deputies from the Grand Forks County Sherriff’s department followed Elliott into Grand Forks and tried to stop his pickup.

Police said he refused to stop, tried to strike officers with his truck and then fled again.

Policed chased Elliott again through the city and eventually wound up driving through the campus of the University of North Dakota. Officers deployed stick strips twice in an attempt to stop his truck. Elliot continued driving and wound up at the parking lot of Altru Hospital, according to the statement.

Police said Elliot was then shot by the University of North Dakota police officer. It’s unclear what led to the shooting.

The name of the officer has not been released. It was not immediately known how long the officer had been with the force.



Click to Read More

Click to Hide