- Associated Press - Monday, March 30, 2015

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) - Fire officials in Annapolis say a 4-year-old boy was seriously burned when his 6-year-old brother played with a lighter at a shelter.

Firefighters called to the Light House Shelter on Sunday morning found the boy with serious burns. He was flown to the Johns Hopkins Pediatric Intensive Care unit in Baltimore.

Annapolis Fire Department spokesman Janet Wiseman says the children were unattended and the older boy was playing with a lighter. That’s when she says the younger boy’s shirt caught fire, burning his torso, chest and shoulders.

Wiseman says the incident highlights the importance of keeping matches and lighters out of reach of children. She says city firefighters will teach the 6-year-old about the dangers of fire.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide