- Associated Press - Monday, March 30, 2015

AGAWAM, Mass. (AP) - Authorities say an Agawam man has died after his clothes caught fire while he was using an acetylene cutting torch.

Firefighters responded to a Cooper Street home at about 11:30 a.m. Sunday for reports of a fire, but by the time they arrived someone had extinguished the flames. The victim was outside suffering from severe burns and his clothes were still smoldering. He was taken to Baystate Medical Center in Springfield where he was pronounced dead of his injuries.

The victim’s name was not immediately made public.

The fire department reminded anyone using a cutting torch to wear proper protective clothing and keep a fire extinguisher nearby.

The death was the state’s 18th fire-related death of the year.



Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide