- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 4, 2015

NEW YORK (AP) - Two Manhattan buildings were evacuated after a Con Edison manhole fire that released carbon monoxide.

Firefighters rushed to West 23rd Street in the Chelsea neighborhood Wednesday afternoon to put out the flames.

Fire department officials said carbon monoxide had reached the seven-story apartment building at 225 West 23rd, and an adjoining eight-story condominium.

They did not know when residents and street-level small businesses would be able to return.

There have been hundreds of manhole explosions, fires and other accidents this winter as a result of salt in melting snow.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide