- Associated Press - Wednesday, March 4, 2015

FAIRBURN, Ga. (AP) - A Fulton County police detective who was fatally shot in the line of duty Wednesday was remembered by supervisors and county officials as an exemplary employee who worked to build relationships with the community he served.

Fulton County Police Detective Terence Avery Green, 48, was fatally shot early Wednesday about 20 miles south of Atlanta in what authorities have described as an ambush.

Fulton County Assistant Police Chief Gary Stiles told local media that police were responding to multiple reports of shots fired in a Fairburn neighborhood and were ambushed while trying to protect residents. The neighborhood was under heavy fog and the suspected shooter fired at responding officers as he exited a wooded area nearby, Capt. Sheila Thomas said.

Green, a 22-year department veteran, was shot in the head with a rifle and died Wednesday morning at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, police said.

“He was a very friendly person, he didn’t meet any strangers,” Police Chief Cassandra Jones said at a news conference. Jones said Green was well liked in the department and community, and compared his death to the pain of losing a child. A second officer was also shot at and Jones said a radio that officer was wearing stopped the bullet. Thomas said Green is survived by his parents and four sons.

Police have said the suspect was wounded by police and was also taken to Grady with non-life threatening injuries. Charges are pending against the man, Thomas said. County jail records didn’t indicate that charges had been filed against him Wednesday night. Jones told reporters that the suspected shooter had “violent tendencies in the past” and prior involvement with local police.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide