- Associated Press - Thursday, March 5, 2015

HILLSBORO, Ore. (AP) - An autopsy has failed to pinpoint a cause of death for a 6-month-old girl whose father says he forgot her, leaving her for six hours last October in a suburban Portland parking lot with the windows rolled up.

The Oregonian reports (https://is.gd/GfS9Fx) that a medical examiner said Wednesday it’s likely Jillian Freier died within the first hour. While the autopsy wasn’t conclusive, Dr. Clifford Nelson of the Oregon state medical examiner’s office says it’s possible she died in her sleep before the car heated up. He ruled it “sudden unexplained infant death.”

A recently unsealed affidavit suggested police suspected heat was involved in the death.

The affidavit quotes Intel worker Joshua Freier as saying he was taking his daughter to day care on Oct. 16 but started thinking about his job, drove to Intel in Hillsboro, got out and went to work. His wife called hours later to ask where the girl was.

The Washington County district attorney’s office hasn’t made a charging decision in the case.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.

Three days after the death of a 6-month-old girl left for six hours in a car last fall with the windows rolled up, Hillsboro police did an experiment.

With the weather slightly cooler than it had been when the girl died, they parked the car in the same spot in an Intel Corp. parking lot and left it.

After two hours, the outside temperature ranged from 58 to 64 degrees. Inside the car, it was 116.

The test was described in a search warrant affidavit unsealed Tuesday that provides the first detailed look at the investigation of the Oct. 16 death.

The police haven’t released the cause of death, but the affidavit suggests they believe it was related to the temperature in the car, The Oregonian (https://bit.ly/1NgrgTw) reported.

No charges have been filed. Prosecutors in Washington County are waiting for evidence analysis at a federal crime laboratory.

According to the affidavit, Joshua Freier, 38, left work to go to daughter Jillian’s 6-month checkup and then drove her from the doctor’s appointment.

He was supposed to drop her off at her day care, but he told investigators he started to think about work and drove straight back to Intel’s Jones Farm campus.

He said he parked, got out and didn’t look back. He had lunch with a co-worker and went to meetings. Later in the day, his wife called him and said she was on her way to pick up their kids. He still didn’t realize what he’d done, he told police.

His wife called him a second time when Jillian wasn’t at the day care. Then Freier ran outside to find her not breathing, her lips blue. Attempts to revive the girl failed.

The affidavit says an officer noted Freier’s face was pale and he appeared to be in shock. It quoted him as saying: “I don’t know what I’m going to say to my wife and son. I totally forgot she was in my car.”


Information from: The Oregonian, https://www.oregonlive.com



Click to Read More

Click to Hide