TROY, Ohio (AP) - In a story Feb. 27 about a carbon monoxide leak, The Associated Press, relying on information from a coroner, erroneously reported the last names and ages of two girls who died. They were 14-year-old Dejah Alexander-Bishop and 13-year-old Dionanna Alexander-Bishop, not 13-year-old Dejah Bishop and 14-year-old Dionanna Bishop. The Associated Press, relying on information from police, also erroneously reported the age of a third victim and the first name of a fourth victim. Jakia Jones was 12, not 13. The fourth child is Jahari Ward, not Jakari Ward.
A corrected version of the Feb. 27 story is below:
Coroner: Carbon monoxide likely caused 2 teenagers’ deaths
Coroner: Carbon monoxide likely culprit in 2 teenagers’ deaths; 2 other children hospitalized
TROY, Ohio (AP) - Two teenage sisters died and two other children were hospitalized after a relative found all four unresponsive Friday from a suspected carbon monoxide leak in their western Ohio home, officials said.
Sisters Dionanna Alexander-Bishop, 13, and Dejah Alexander-Bishop, 14, died in an emergency room, said Dr. William Ginn, the acting Miami County coroner. He said the likely cause of death is carbon monoxide poisoning.
The other two found at the home in Troy, about 20 miles north of Dayton, were flown to a hospital in Dayton. Troy police have identified them as 12-year-old Jakia Jones and 8-year-old Jahari Ward. Capt. Joe Long said they were in critical condition.
The coroner said the children were believed to be sleeping in the same bed when they were overcome by carbon monoxide from what police officials believe was a malfunctioning furnace or heater.
Long said it is believed the children were all related, possibly cousins, and lived in the house with their grandmother. He said the grandmother had been hospitalized with pneumonia, and the children had been home alone, which is why another relative came to check on them Friday afternoon.
The relative reported that the children had been sick for days and now would not wake up. Police said they hadn’t gone to school Friday.
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.