- Associated Press - Friday, May 1, 2015

SERGEANT BLUFF, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say flames from a northwest Iowa yard waste fire spread to a barn after the man tending the fire went inside for supper.

Firefighters were sent to the Sergeant Bluff property a little before 7 p.m. Thursday. Crews from eight departments kept the blaze from igniting gasoline and other fuels inside the barn and spreading to a large propane tank nearby. Woodbury County Sheriff’s Sgt. David Benson says the firefighters’ teamwork also kept the blaze from reaching two nearby homes.

Boats, classic cars and tools inside the barn were damaged. No injuries have been reported.

Benson says the man tending the fire didn’t need a permit to burn the yard waste and won’t be cited. But Benson says the man made a mistake by going inside to eat supper.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide