- Associated Press - Friday, May 1, 2015

KEENE, N.H. (AP) - Three young men convicted of disorderly conduct after violence broke out near last year’s Keene Pumpkin Festival have been offered a chance to reduce their $1,000 fines by explaining their actions to elementary school students.

Keene police Sgt. Jason Short says a judge told the three college-age men that they could reduce their fines by $200 for each Keene elementary school classroom they visit to explain how their behavior led to the festival’s cancellation.

Held in Keene since 1991, the pumpkin festival tries each year to set a record for the number of carved and lighted pumpkins. After alcohol-fueled parties nearby led to injuries, property damage and more than 100 arrests last year, the Keene City Council rejected its permit for 2015. Laconia plans to host it next fall instead.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide