- Associated Press - Friday, May 1, 2015

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - A utility says it didn’t break any rules when it shut off natural gas service at a Detroit-area home where authorities say a man died of hypothermia and other causes.

The Michigan Public Service Commission directed Jackson-based Consumers Energy to investigate and submit a report after the body of 69-year-old John Skelley was discovered in his Hazel Park home earlier this year.

Consumer Energy said in the report that a man identified only as Joseph was the payer on the natural gas bill, not Skelley.

MLive.com (https://bit.ly/1JVWH1O ) reports Joseph was notified three times of an impending shut-off after not paying the bills. Service was cut on Jan. 19, and the report said Skelley died Jan. 31.

A commission spokeswoman says the panel will review the report.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide