- Associated Press - Monday, May 11, 2015

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Authorities say nobody was hurt in a fire in a top-floor dormitory room at the University of Southern California.

City Fire spokesman Brian Humphrey says it took crews just a few minutes to extinguish the blaze on West 35th Street late Sunday.

Humphrey says the fire was contained to a mattress and was kept from spreading by building sprinklers.

A preliminary investigation finds the blaze was sparked by an unattended candle.

The loss was estimated at $2,500 - including $1,000 to contents and $1,500 to the structure.

At least five students have been displaced from the building’s third floor.

University Public Safety was not available for comment but tweeted that the fire was in the University Residence Hall.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide