- Associated Press - Monday, May 11, 2015

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen is calling for long-term, stable federal funding to replace a 100-year-old bridge in Concord.

A delay in funding has delayed construction of a replacement for the Sewalls Falls Bridge, which was shut down in December due to safety concerns. Shaheen said Monday during a bridge visit that the project has been on hold because of a shortfall in the National Highway Trust Fund. Authorization for the fund expires on May 31, and a long-term highway authorization bill has not been introduced yet.

Federal dollars are expected to pay for 80 percent of the $10 million bridge project.

Shaheen said before the bridge was closed, its weight limit had been downgraded to 3 tons, which lengthened emergency response times to parts of Concord.


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide