- Associated Press - Tuesday, May 12, 2015

KAILUA-KONA, Hawaii (AP) - Hawaii County firefighters worked to stop the spread of a brush fire that consumed one house in Naalehu and forced families to evacuate their homes.

The Honolulu Star-Advertiser reports (https://bit.ly/1FazIAC) that the fire was 50 percent contained at about 9 p.m. Monday, when residents were allowed to return to their homes.

Assistant fire chief Gantry Andrade says that “there’s still a lot of unburned fuel.”

The newspaper says the home that was destroyed was one of 11 evacuated in the morning.

Major roadways remained open however some roads within the subdivisions had been closed and motorists were advised to avoid the area.

Windy conditions, rough terrain and a thick overgrowth have made it difficult to fight the blaze.

Andrade says fire suppression efforts would likely continue through the night.

___

Information from: West Hawaii Today, https://www.westhawaiitoday.com


Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide