- Associated Press - Wednesday, May 6, 2015

CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) - A group of Venezuelan military officers the government accused of plotting to blow up the presidential palace have been sent to prison, officials said Wednesday.

Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino Lopez announced on Twitter that eight officers had been convicted for their role in a foiled coup attempt. The sentences ranged from five to eight years in prison.

In February, the administration of President Nicolas Maduro accused a laundry list of military officials, opposition politicians and business leaders of plotting to overthrow the South American country’s 15 year-old socialist revolution. Among other things, officials accused the plotters of planning to commandeer a military jet to bomb the presidential palace, the defense ministry, and the headquarters of a state television network.

Venezuelan officials said the officers had been conspiring with the United States, but never provided detailed evidence to the public. At the time, the U.S. State Department called the accusation “ludicrous,” and said the administration was attempting to distract the public from mounting economic and social woes.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide