- Associated Press - Thursday, May 7, 2015

ARLINGTON, Mass. (AP) - Authorities have identified a man killed in a four-alarm fire at an Arlington condominium building earlier this week and say the likely cause of the blaze is a cigarette that was improperly discarded onto a mulch pile.

Officials say 47-year-old Wai Cheong Lee died after the fast-moving fire trapped him inside his condo early Tuesday morning.

The fire at the Brookside Condominium Complex was reported at about 4 a.m. and sent residents scrambling into the streets with nothing but the clothes they were wearing. Officials say 36 condos were destroyed or damaged. Several vehicles in the parking lot also were damaged.

Authorities say someone improperly disposed of smoking materials, most likely a cigarette, onto mulch near the building and started a fire that spread to a wooden balcony and stairway.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide