- Associated Press - Friday, May 8, 2015

EAST GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (AP) - A city in the Grand Rapids area has agreed to a $450,000 settlement in a lawsuit related to the death of a man who was repeatedly hit with a police stun gun.

WOOD-TV (https://bit.ly/1DWIr4a ) says a judge last week approved the deal between East Grand Rapids and the family of 30-year-old Matthew Bolick. Police were called to his home in 2009 after he smashed through a window and said he was hearing voices.

Officers said they used a stun gun after Bolick punched an officer. An autopsy found the cause of Bolick’s death was excited delirium syndrome, not the effect of the stun gun.

But Bolick’s family claimed East Grand Rapids officers used excessive force. The city says officers did nothing wrong and the settlement was handled by its insurer.

___

Information from: WOOD-TV, https://www.woodtv.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide