- Associated Press - Friday, May 8, 2015

BERNARDSVILLE, N.J. (AP) - A widely popular New Jersey birding competition has nearly arrived.

The World Series of Birding is a 24-hour competition that raises money for conservation groups and attracts participants from around the globe.

Teams have been spreading across New Jersey in the days leading up to the May 9 competition, scouting birds, locations, construction sites and driving routes.

New Jersey Audubon hopes to raise $150,000 this year. Since its founding 32 years ago it has raised $9 million for wildlife and habitat conservation efforts.

Participants must find as many bird species as possible through sight or sound within 24 hours, and every team member must see or hear 95 percent of them. At least two members have to see the remaining 5 percent.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide