- Associated Press - Friday, November 13, 2015

FORT SMITH, Ark. (AP) - The federal government is asking a judge to dismiss a lawsuit by the Fort Chaffee Redevelopment Authority over a 2011 fire that destroyed 111 buildings at a World War II-era hospital complex in western Arkansas.

The lawsuit seeking more than $650,000 in damages was filed in September. It says members of the Kentucky National Guard’s 138th Fires Brigade caused the blaze and that the federal government is responsible for their actions. The government’s response filed Friday denies responsibility and said an employee whose “conduct was controlled by a third-party” committed the alleged negligence.

Officials said the fire was started by cigarettes tossed into dry weeds by guard members who sneaked onto the complex looking for ghosts. The Army denied an administrative claim for damages filed by the authority last year.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide