- Associated Press - Monday, November 23, 2015

ST. LOUIS (AP) - A home where a weekend fire killed three children did not have a working smoke detector, a spokesman for the St. Louis Fire Department said.

Six-year-old Aniya Calvin and 4-year-old Antonasia Williams died at the scene of the pre-dawn fire Sunday, police said Monday. Ten-month-old Sevon Hutcherson died later at a hospital, authorities said. Viances Hutcherson Sr., described by his son as a 50-year-old father of the boy and uncle of the girls, was in good condition Monday at Barnes-Jewish Hospital after being injured in a rescue attempt.

Capt. Gregg Favre of the city’s fire department told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (https://bit.ly/1ldk8x9) there’s no reason to believe the fire was anything but an accident.

One of the home’s residents, 16-year-old Viances Hutcherson Jr., said the gas to the dwelling was off, and that the family was using an electric oven and space heaters to warm the home in advance of the fire reported by a neighbor shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday.

Hutcherson said the girls had been asleep on a first-floor couch and became trapped by the fire, and that the 10-month-old boy was in a crib on the same level. That child’s parents escaped, Hutchersaon said.

Hutcherson and four other brothers, ages 7 to 14, had been sleeping upstairs and fled unharmed by exiting through a window and sliding off the roof.


Information from: St. Louis Post-Dispatch, https://www.stltoday.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide