- Associated Press - Tuesday, November 3, 2015

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - An Indianapolis man says another man stole his identity and used it with police while committing misdemeanor crimes.

Wesley Taylor says his record was tarnished by the case of identity theft he says began when his wallet was stolen in 2006. He says the criminal record wrongly associated with him has prevented him from getting jobs and led to suspension of his driver’s license and denial of a gun permit.

The man Taylor says stole his identity is in prison on a murder conviction.

“This is what you see on paper,” Taylor said. “You see me as a gun-toting, arrest-resisting murderer.”

Taylor, 28, is suing the city of Indianapolis in federal court, claiming officials didn’t do enough to correct his record, The Indianapolis Star (https://indy.st/1XMQtcD ) reports. His complaint says that the criminal record has stayed with him for years despite his pleas with police and court staff. Officials’ inaction amounts to defamation, Taylor’s complaint alleges.

After Taylor’s wallet he was stolen, he says he realized something was awry when he was pulled over by police two years later and told there was a warrant for his arrest in Detroit.

“I told the officer I had never been to Detroit,” he said. “They were perplexed by that.”

In August 2008, Taylor said a judge told him someone calling himself Wesley Taylor faced charges including resisting law enforcement and marijuana possession. Taylor went to Indianapolis police to get a fingerprint ID and documentation that they’re two different people.

Taylor thought the mix-up was over, but he said his driver’s license was revoked in 2010 because of the man’s convictions before later being reinstated. He said he had trouble over the next few years getting steady employment because of the record wrongly associated with him.

Last month, Taylor started working at a mortgage company after showing paperwork from police and the state proving his identity. He hopes his troubles are behind him, but he said he was prompted to file the lawsuit because he worries they could return.

“My main goal is just to make sure this stuff stays out of my name,” he said, “and it doesn’t ever pop back up again and hassle me.”

The newspaper says representatives with the city’s legal department declined to comment on Taylor’s case. An initial hearing is set for Nov. 19.

___

Information from: The Indianapolis Star, https://www.indystar.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide