- Associated Press - Friday, November 6, 2015

CEDAR FALLS, Iowa (AP) - Authorities say an explosion at a Cedar Falls motel that killed a man occurred when he lit a cigarette, causing gas to ignite.

The Iowa Department of Public Safety said Friday that investigators determined the Oct. 10 explosion at the Shady Rest Motel happened when occupant Matthew David Ferleman blew out the pilot light of a gas appliance in his room overnight in an attempt to kill himself. Ferleman awoke the next morning and lit a cigarette, causing the explosion.

The 43-year-old Ferleman died several hours after the explosion.

An autopsy determined Ferleman died from burns.

The explosion damaged at least nine rooms at the business.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide