- Associated Press - Friday, November 6, 2015

EL PASO, Texas (AP) - Fire investigators say a deadly West Texas apartment fire that killed a woman and her two young daughters was caused by an overheated griddle left on a stove.

The El Paso Times reports (https://bit.ly/1kzMf9v ) that officials say the fire was accidental.

The Monday fire at the Las Casitas apartments inflicted severe burns on 32-year-old Magaly Mendoza and her two daughters, 11-year-old Andrea Garcia and 4-year-old Paulina Ortega. They died later at hospitals.

Police say 22-year-old Perla Mendoza, carrying an infant daughter, and 33-year-old Lizette Gomez were able to escape the burning apartment uninjured through the front door

El Paso Fire Marshal Orlando Arriola says there were smoke detectors in the home, but that according to interviews with the victims it is not clear if the alarms worked.

___

Information from: El Paso Times, https://www.elpasotimes.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide