- Associated Press - Monday, November 9, 2015

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - Authorities say a 75-year-old Columbia man died in a house fire started by a space heater.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts says it appears James Trousdale died of smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning in the fire Monday morning. Watts plans to conduct an autopsy Tuesday.

Columbia Fire Chief Aubrey Jenkins says firefighters found Trousdale in a room on the home’s second floor. Trousdale was pronounced dead at a local hospital.

Jenkins says the home had smoke alarms and all were operational except for the alarm outside the room where Trousdale was found.

Jenkins and Watts urge residents to keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from paper, bedding or other materials that can burn, and to turn them off before leaving a room or going to sleep.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide