- Associated Press - Monday, November 9, 2015

SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) - Authorities say a 5-year-old boy crawled beneath the smoke filling a California home to alert his sleeping grandmother to a fire, allowing them to escape unharmed.

San Bernardino County officials say smoke woke up the child early Saturday at the home in the Phelan area. He crawled down a hallway to his grandmother’s room and woke her up.

When fire crews arrived, heavy smoke and flames were shooting from all sides of the single-story house. After learning that the family’s Chihuahua didn’t make it out, firefighters went in and rescued the dog from a bathroom.

The fire was knocked down in about 15 minutes. No injuries were reported.

A news release says a preliminary investigation found the fire was sparked by a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide