By Associated Press - Saturday, October 10, 2015

GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) - Idaho State scored the last 22 points of the game to rally past North Dakota 37-31 Saturday in the Big Sky Conference.

Trailing 31-15 late in the third quarter, the Bengals (2-5, 1-2) got two touchdowns from Jakori Ford and another from KW Williams.

Idaho State quarterback Michael Sanders completed 32 of 49 pass attempts for 427 yards and four touchdowns. His 27-yard pass to Jakori Ford with 6:15 to play was the game-winner.

“No question we got outplayed down the stretch,” North Dakota coach Bubba Schweigert said.

UND led 31-15 after John Santiago’s 27-yard TD run with 1:21 left in the third. Santiago ran for 155 of UND’s 270 rushing yards.

But Idaho State rallied late behind Sanders’ second TD pass to Williams a minute later, and Ford’s 1-yard run with 10:30 to play, to make it 31-29.

Williams caught 12 passes for 204 yards and two scores and Madison Mangum caught 10 passes for 142 yards and a TD.

The Bengals were forced to the air by a UND defense gave up just 53 yards on the ground.

“They always get the ball out quick so it’s hard to get pressure on a team like that,” UND linebacker Will Ratelle said. “Their offensive line protected well, too.”

UND took a 21-15 lead into halftime despite three turnovers.

Mistakes played a role in Idaho State’s early lead. UND’s Keaton Studsrud threw an interception, Josh Seibel muffed a punt return and Santiago lost a fumble.

Studsrud was injured in the third quarter and replaced by Ryan Bartels, who was 3 of 8 for 47 yards.

Idaho State cashed in on a 25-yard touchdown pass from Sanders to a wide-open Williams. But the PAT failed, leaving the Bengals up 6-0.

Seibel atoned for the mistake on UND’s ensuing possession when he caught a 13-yard TD pass from Studsrud. Reid Taubenheim’s PAT made it 7-6 with 3:21 left in the first quarter.

Idaho State answered with a 35-yard Zak Johnson field goal and a 34-yard TD pass from Sanders to Mangum that gave the Bengals a 15-14 lead with 7:55 left in the half.

UND reclaimed the lead with 42 seconds left in the half on a 9-yard pass from Studsrud to Miguel Cerriteno.

Taubenheim kicked a 33-yard field goal and UND led 31-15 after Santiago’s 27-yard TD run with 1:21 left in the third.

“We did a really good job in the third quarter to get the lead but we just couldn’t get off the field on defense (in the fourth),” Schweigert said. “Too many big plays.”

Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide