- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 13, 2015

ST. MARTIN, Miss. (AP) - Jackson County authorities say a fire broke out in one room at an assisted-living center, resulting in injuries to two residents and the temporary evacuation of 36 residents.

Sheriff Mike Ezell tells The Sun Herald (https://bit.ly/1GaXUWe) one resident, 90-year-old Mercedes Hall, suffered second-degree burns when her bed caught fire in first-floor room at Lemoyne Place in the St. Martin community. He says another unidentified resident hurt her leg during the evacuation Monday.

Authorities say Hall remains hospitalized in stable condition at Ocean Springs Hospital.

Earl Etheridge, Jackson County emergency services director, said damage to the assisted-living center was very minor.

Residents were allowed back in their rooms after the smoke was vented out of the area where the fire started.

___

Information from: The Sun Herald, https://www.sunherald.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide