- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 13, 2015

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) - A North Carolina state House member won’t try to run for Republican U.S. Sen. Richard Burr’s seat next year after exploring the idea.

Democratic Rep. Duane Hall of Raleigh had presented himself in the summer as a potential candidate, but he said Tuesday he would seek re-election to the General Assembly instead.

Hall said his biggest concern had been finding a credible challenger to Burr, and he believes “that person will soon come forward.”

Spring Lake Mayor Chris Rey is already in the race. Former state Rep. Deborah Ross of Raleigh said last week he was “putting together a team,” presumably for a campaign. State Sen. Joel Ford of Charlotte is also considering a bid. All three are Democrats.

Candidate filing begins Dec. 1.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide