- Associated Press - Friday, October 2, 2015

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - State health officials say food poisoning caused an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness that sickened about three dozen people attending a wedding reception outside Syracuse two months ago.

The Post-Standard of Syracuse reports (https://bit.ly/1Rk8cob ) that the Department of Health says today its lab tested samples collected from some of the approximately 35 people who became ill while attending a reception held July 31 at the Arrowhead Lodge, an Onondaga County-owned venue located in Brewerton on the western end of Oneida Lake.

The agency says the results came back positive for staph aureus enterotoxin infection, a type of food poisoning. The illness is caused by eating foods contaminated with toxins produced by Staphylococcus aureus, a type of bacteria.

At least nine of the guests were taken to local emergency rooms.


Information from: The Post-Standard, https://www.syracuse.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide