- Associated Press - Friday, October 2, 2015

TWIN FALLS, Idaho (AP) - Officials in south-central Idaho say the child who died last month at a local hospital was given an adult dose of a saline solution infused with potassium phosphate.

The Times-News (https://bit.ly/1FNgB2a ) reports that seven-month-old August Dean Elliott arrived at St. Luke’s Magic Valley Medical Center around 11 p.m. on Sept. 22. He died a few hours later.

In a prepared statement released Friday, officials say a nurse mixed up the child’s medication with a similar dose prepared for an adult also being treated in the emergency room.

One nurse prepared the adult’s medication solution at the nurse’s stations and another nurse later mistook that prepared bag as the child’s medication. Elliott went into cardiac arrest about 10 minutes after receiving the adult’s medication.

Thirteen minutes into resuscitation efforts, a nurse realized Elliott was given the wrong medication.

“We missed at least one part of the standard procedure for administering medication,” the hospital said in the statement. “We deeply regret that mistake, and we are actively tightening our processes to minimize the chances of human error in the future.”

The hospital’s investigation report now goes to the Joint Commission, the nation’s top accreditation board. The investigation will include the coroner’s report.

The child’s family will also get a copy of the investigation.

A separate investigation has been launched by the Twin Falls County Prosecutor’s office. Investigators were still gathering information as of Friday.

Hospital spokeswoman Michelle Bartlome said the department leads at St. Luke’s Magic Valley were updated on medication protocol on Thursday. She says more training and adjustments are likely to follow.

Hospital officials declined to answer follow-up questions after releasing the statement.

While we have expressed our deepest and most heartfelt apologies to the Elliot family, we know words will never be enough to ease their pain. We continue to offer any support we can to this family,” the hospital said.


Information from: The Times-News, https://www.magicvalley.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide