- Associated Press - Friday, October 2, 2015

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - The lawyer for a Providence man charged with killing another man in a drive-by shooting in the city last year says his client acted in self-defense.

Opening statements in the murder trial of 21-year-old Chaquiro Blandino occurred Thursday.

Prosecutors say Blandino opened fire from behind the wheel of a minivan on May 2, 2014, striking and killing 22-year-old Francis Rodriguez, who was in another vehicle.

The Providence Journal (https://bit.ly/1PScaU1) reports that Blandino’s lawyer, Christopher Millea, said his client acted in self-defense after being stalked by and repeatedly shot at by members of the C-Block, gang. Millea said Rodriguez’s passenger, who fled the scene, had pointed a gun at him.

Prosecutors say the gun Blandino used was stolen.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide