- The Washington Times - Tuesday, October 27, 2015

The Russian Defense Ministry on Tuesday summoned military attaches of the United States, NATO countries and Saudi Arabia to explain allegations that Moscow has been bombing civilian targets in Syria.

In a statement, Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov said the attaches were asked to “give official validation of their statements, or make a rebuttal,” RT News reported.

Mr. Antonov added that the attaches must justify “outrageous accusations” made by Western media that the Russian Air Force had allegedly bombed hospitals in Syria. 


TOP STORIES
'I was wrong': James Comey admits 'real sloppiness' in Russia probe
Adam Schiff insists impeachment 'isn't a failure' despite lack of GOP support
Melania Trump spox says Greta Thunberg fair game: Barron 'not an activist who travels the globe'


He stressed that such reports are part of an attack on Russia’s anti-terror efforts in Syria and are put on Russia not only by the media, but also Western officials like U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry, Defense Secretary Ashton Carton, NATO’s Secretary-General, Jens Stoltenberg and the U.K.’s Defense Secretary Michael Fallon.

Mr. Antonov said the accusations would be considered “stove-piping” should Russia not receive proof in the coming days.



Several reports emerged last week of a field hospital in northwestern Syria that was destroyed by Russian airstrikes, which killed civilians. The reports were based on information provided by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. Other reports have alleged this was the third hospital to be targeted by Russian warplanes since Moscow’s bombing campaign began last month.  

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide