- Associated Press - Saturday, October 31, 2015

SOUTHFIELD, Mich. (AP) - A jury has awarded $5 million to relatives of a 90-year-old woman who died after ingesting detergent at a Detroit-area retirement facility.

The Oakland Press reports (https://bit.ly/1Wpr4D2 ) Friday an Oakland County jury reached the verdict this month after a seven-day trial. The case against Watermark Retirement Communities, which operates The Fountains at Franklin in Southfield, stems from Willie Mae Henderson’s 2012 death.

Henderson, who suffered from dementia, took dishwasher detergent from a kitchen cabinet and ingested it. Family attorney Lawrence Buckfire says she suffered severe burns and died 13 days later.

Buckfire says the facility neglected to provide adequate supervision and secure cabinets. Watermark attorneys deny those allegations and write in a court document that the incident “was caused either totally or partially by” Henderson’s negligence.

___

Information from: The Oakland Press, https://www.theoaklandpress.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide