- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 7, 2015

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) - Portland city councilors have decided not to appeal a federal court ruling that struck down the city’s panhandling ordinance last year.

The Portland Press Herald reports (https://bit.ly/1VFe1wU ) Tuesday’s announcement ends three years of debate over the ordinance that initially banned standing on medians for any reason.

City spokeswoman Jessica Grondin says the city will remain focused on reviewing ways to “address this public safety issue.”

Opponents of the ordinance contended that it was too broad and the city exaggerated the public safety hazards to justify the ban.

Zachary Heiden, legal director for the Maine American Civil Liberties Union, applauds the decision and says the city faced long odds of having the case heard by the U.S. Supreme Court if it went through with an appeal.



___

Information from: Portland Press Herald, https://www.pressherald.com

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide