- Associated Press - Wednesday, October 7, 2015

ROSEBURG, Ore. (AP) - The latest on the deadly shooting at a community college in Oregon (all times local):

11:40 a.m.

A survivor of the deadly mass shooting at an Oregon community college last week has been released from the hospital.

PeaceHealth Medical Center in Springfield said Wednesday that Anastasia Boylan returned home to continue her recovery. The 18-year-old had been shot through the spine and a bullet had lodged in her back.

Her grandmother has told The Associated Press that Boylan played dead and the gunman left her bleeding on the floor.

Two other women are still at the hospital. Julie Woodworth is in critical condition, and the other is in fair condition.

They were among the most seriously wounded in the attack at Umpqua (UHMP’-kwah) Community College in Roseburg that left nine people and the gunman dead.

They were airlifted to the hospital about 70 miles north of Roseburg.


11:16 a.m.

An Oregon police chief says two detectives who ran toward the sound of gunshots and wounded the gunman who killed nine people at a community college don’t want to be called heroes.

Sgt. Joe Kaney and Detective Todd Spingath were among the first to arrive at Umpqua (UHMP’-kwah) Community College last Thursday and immediately jumped out of their car without bulletproof vests. The shooter fired at them, but they weren’t hit.

The officers fired three shots at gunman Christopher Harper-Mercer, striking him once in the side. He then retreated to the classroom where he had gunned down eight students and a professor and killed himself.

Roseburg Police Chief Jim Burge says he and many others in the small town consider the officers to be heroes. But he says Kaney and Spingath feel they did what they were trained to do.


10:20 a.m.

Authorities say the gunman who killed nine people at an Oregon community college killed himself inside a classroom after two plainclothes officers shot and wounded him.

Douglas County District Attorney Rick Wesenberg said at a news conference Wednesday that the two detectives who were among the first on scene heard a volley of gunfire and ran toward the shots at Umpqua (UHMP’-kwah) Community College last Thursday.

They spotted 26-year-old Christopher Harper-Mercer in the doorway of a building and he immediately fired at the officers, who weren’t wearing bulletproof vests.

Wesenberg says they fired three rounds, one of which stuck the shooter in the right side. Once Harper-Mercer was wounded, he went back into the classroom and shot himself at the front of the room.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide