- The Washington Times - Thursday, October 8, 2015

One of the three Americans who helped thwart a terror attack on a French train in August was stabbed early Thursday morning in a bar-heavy area of Sacramento, California, but is expected to survive.

Spencer Stone, the 25-year-old airman first class who was hailed as a hero after he charged the Islamist gunman on the high-speed train, was in stable condition Thursday after having been stabbed three times in the upper body.

According to the Sacramento Police, the incident is “not related to a terrorist act. Assault occurred near a bar, alcohol is believed to be a factor.”

While Deputy Police Chief Ken Bernard would not say later Thursday what sparked the argument, he did say there was no evidence Airman Stone’s attackers knew who he was.

“We know it’s not related to what occurred in France months ago,” he said.

Douglas Kirk, chief medical officer at University of California at Davis Medical Center, told reporters that while Airman Stone needed surgery for “significant injuries, he was conscious when he arrived and is expected to make a full recovery.

“I suspect given his history of recent events he is quite a fighter,” Dr. Kirk said.

In a statement put out Thursday afternoon through the UC Davis hospital, the Stone family said it “appreciates the outpouring of love and support” and requested privacy.

Airman Stone became a hero after he and two U.S. military buddies tackled Morocco-born Ayooub El-Khazaani after the heavily armed man emerged to open fire on a Paris train in August.

He, Alek Skarlatos and Anthony Sadler were awarded the Legion of Honor, France’s highest award. Airman Stone was the only American wounded in the melee — taking a serious cut to his thumb and a knife wound to his neck.

The Sacramento stabbing happened as the result of a fight about 12:45 a.m. Thursday near several popular bars.

A nearby liquor store’s surveillance video shows a man who likely is Airman Stone fighting with several people at an intersection. Several people take swings at each other as the fight heads into the street, and one man gets knocked down.

Homicide detectives were called out because officers initially did not think Airman Stone would survive.

According to police, two assailants fled in a car. A man and a woman have been questioned, but nobody has been detained or taken into custody.

Copyright © 2019 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide