- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 1, 2015

SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (AP) - Officials say an early-morning fire that damaged two Northern California schools and a police substation was started by a teenager who placed smoldering ashes from a cardboard box in a trash can.

Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Lt. Kelly Kent says the fire that caused $1 million in damages and delayed classes was accidentally started by a 17-year-old boy who had met friends at an elementary school Sunday night to smoke marijuana.

Kent says that after realizing none of them had any cannabis, the group decided to stay and set a cardboard box on fire to keep warm.

Before leaving, the boy placed some smoldering ashes in one of the school’s trash cans believing he had extinguished the embers but the fire spread.

Classes at both schools in the small Loma Prieta Joint Union School District were cancelled Monday.

___

Information from: KNTV-TV.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide