Twelve people, including Mexican tourists, were killed Sunday when Egyptian security forces battling Islamic State terrorists in the western part of the country accidentally shot at a Mexican tourist convoy.
“The incident resulted in the death of 12 Mexicans and Egyptians and the injury of 10 others who have been transferred to hospitals,” the Egyptian interior ministry said in a statement Monday, according to Reuters news agency.
Egyptian officials said the tourist convoy — which consisted of four four-wheel-drive vehicles — was in an off-limits area and that they would investigate how that came to happen.
Mexico’s Foreign Ministry confirmed to the Associated Press on Sunday evening in Mexico City, that at least two of the dead are its citizens. The ministry said it had been able to interview five survivors at Hospital Dar-el-Fouad just outside Cairo but did not release any other information.
Islamic State and sympathetic militants throughout North Africa have taken to attacking foreign tourists to hurt the government by damaging a key economic engine.
According to Reuters, the Islamic State had said earlier Sunday that it had repulsed an attack in the western Egyptian desert.