- Associated Press - Wednesday, September 2, 2015

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) - A New Bedford man has been held without bail after pleading not guilty to a fatal shooting in the city last month.

The Standard-Times reports (https://bit.ly/1JyaUBa ) that 22-year-old Michael Sousa pleaded not guilty Tuesday to murder, armed robbery and related charges stemming from the Aug. 2 slaying of 24-year-old Jeffrey Sylvia Jr.

Prosecutor Daniel Hourihan says Sousa showed a friend a handgun and said that he “shot someone” moments after the shooting.

A 17-year-old boy has been charged as Sousa’s accomplice. He’s charged with murder, armed robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm.

Sousa’s attorney, Dana Sargent, says prosecutors have released little information to him and his client maintains his innocence.


Information from: The (New Bedford, Mass.) Standard-Times, https://www.southcoasttoday.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide