- Associated Press - Sunday, September 20, 2015

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The family of a sheriff’s deputy shot and killed by other deputies last September has sued the sheriff, saying officers should have used “non-lethal means” to end a domestic disturbance.

The lawsuit filed Thursday in federal district court says Lt. Nolan Anderson did not pose an “imminent danger” to deputies and blames his death on lack of training in the St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff’s Office, The New Orleans Advocate (https://bit.ly/1OJ5oBA) reported.

St. John the Baptist Parish Sheriff Mike Tregre (TREG) declined to comment on the lawsuit. Last year, he said deputies did all they could to talk the 25-year veteran down.

Prosecutors did not bring any criminal charges in the shooting. A Louisiana State Police report said Anderson fired his service weapon before and during deputies’ arrival at his home, and used his police radio to threaten responding deputies.

Tregre said last year that by opening fire, Anderson gave other deputies no choice but deadly force.

The lawsuit also further alleges that one of the deputies who shot Anderson, Sgt. Richard Dubus, disobeyed an order to stand down from a crisis management negotiator tasked with “bringing a peaceful resolution to the conflict.”

The negotiator, Lt. Gregory Baker, wanted more time to negotiate, according to the suit.

It also says Detective Thomas Ricks “lethally shot” Anderson after he already had been incapacitated by Dubus.

The shooting followed a standoff between Anderson and his colleagues the afternoon of Sept. 24, 2014, at his home in LaPlace.

Anderson was holding his wife at gunpoint when deputies arrived, according to State Police. “Several shots were fired inside the home prior to and during the deputies’ arrival,” state police reported.

___

Information from: The New Orleans Advocate, https://www.neworleansadvocate.com

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide