- Associated Press - Monday, September 21, 2015

HOVEN, S.D. (AP) - Construction is beginning this week on a new school in Hoven to replace one that was destroyed by fire in May 2014.

The school board last week accepted a $5.1 million bid from Aberdeen-based Kyburz Carlson Construction, The American News reported (https://bit.ly/1WdgHUM ). Insurance will cover the cost.

The high school in Hoven had stood for about 70 years before the fire that was caused by electrical problems in the attic above the gymnasium. Seventh-graders through seniors have been attending classes in a former hospital building since.

The new school in the northern South Dakota town of about 400 people is expected to be ready for the 2016-17 school year.

“Once they get the (building’s) shell up, they can start working through the winter,” Superintendent Bob Graham said. “If the weather cooperates, we’ll be in nice shape.”

The plan is to build a 19,000-square-foot addition onto the existing 33,000-square-foot elementary school. Upgrades to the existing building will include a sprinkler system and an air conditioning system for the gym.

“This will have all the facilities and amenities at the same location,” architect Tom Hurlbert said. “It’s an opportunity to make upgrades to both facilities and get more bang for the buck.”

___

Information from: Aberdeen American News, https://www.aberdeennews.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide