- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 22, 2015

RENO, Nev. (AP) - Two people were found dead Tuesday after a standoff at an apartment near Sparks High School that police believe was connected to an early morning homicide at a home in northwest Reno.

The bodies of a man and a woman were found in the apartment after the man reportedly fired gunshots through the front door and a SWAT team responded to the hostage situation, police said.

Detectives weren’t saying who fired the shots. The dead man in Sparks was identified as Mark Constantino. The name of the dead woman who was with him was not released, nor was the name of the earlier male victim.

Deputy Sparks Police Chief Brian Miller told reporters late Tuesday investigators didn’t want to release additional details prematurely. “This is a huge tragedy for a lot of people. It’s horrible,” he said.

Sparks High School was locked down at about noon, but the lockdown was lifted about two hours later, school officials said.

The incident started at 6:30 a.m. when Reno police received a call of a man found dead at a home in northwest Reno, the Reno Gazette-Journal (https://tinyurl.com/q34ywng ) reported.

Reno police Lt. William Rulla said that as police began to investigate, they learned that a female resident of that home was missing.

Officers tracked her cellphone and found her inside the Sparks apartment with Constantino, her estranged husband.

Rulla said the woman previously had been a victim in a kidnapping and domestic incident with Constantino. He said the apartment was their daughter’s. It’s not clear how many people were inside at the time.

Officers heard several shots fired when they knocked on the apartment door and heard a man yelling at police to leave. The suspect told the officers “give me 15 minutes to gather my thoughts or I’ll kill her,” Reno Deputy Police Chief Tom Robinson said.

Officers eventually used explosives to blow open the door to find Constantino and the woman dead inside.

Police did not say how they were killed or what kind of gun was used.

One officer was taken to a hospital after he was hurt by broken glass when police used explosives to open the door.

Rulla said police weren’t searching for other suspects, but they haven’t ruled out anything as an investigation continues.


This story has been corrected to show the incident happened Tuesday, not Thursday.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide