- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 22, 2015

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) - Providence city officials have shot down a petition seeking to block public money from being spent on a sports stadium.

WPRI-TV reports (https://bit.ly/1PpFfWz) city solicitor Jeffrey Dana says the petition, signed by more than 1,500 city residents, doesn’t comply with municipal rules allowing voters to enact ordinances if they secure 1,000 signatures.

Dana says the law excludes ordinances related to the budget, capital programs, the appropriation of money or the levy of taxes.

The petition seeks to prohibit the building of any stadium on land that was freed up after the relocation of Interstate 195. It also precludes any public money from being used toward any private stadium.

The Pawtucket Red Sox had been eying the I-195 land for a new, private ballpark before officially ending their pursuit last week.

___

Information from: WPRI-TV, https://www.wpri.com


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide