- Associated Press - Wednesday, September 23, 2015

WOODBRIDGE, N.J. (AP) - Authorities say a New Jersey man smoking a cigarette near a gas can caught fire and suffered serious burns over a large part of his body.

NJ.com reports (https://bit.ly/1gNyQbV ) the 45-year-old was working on a lawn mower with a friend Tuesday and left the can on the ground after filling up the mower.

Woodbridge Police Capt. Roy Hoppock says they were having a cigarette when the friend walked away and saw a bright flash. He says he saw the victim on fire and wrapped him in a tarp on the ground to extinguish the fire.

The man was taken to a hospital with serious burns over nearly half of his body. His condition isn’t clear.

Hoppock says it’s unclear how exactly he caught fire.

His name was not released.


Information from: NJ.com, https://www.nj.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide