- Associated Press - Saturday, September 26, 2015

SAN DIEGO (AP) - San Diego Gas and Electric is seeking authority to bill its customers $379 million for legal settlement costs left over from 2007 wildfires that destroyed 1,300 homes and killed two people.

In filings with state regulators Friday, SDG&E; said customers would pay 90 percent of the costs while stockholders in the investor-owned utility would pay the remaining 10 percent - about $42 million.

The fires in northern San Diego County were triggered largely by SDG&E; equipment.

The costs were not covered by wildfire insurance or counterclaims against other businesses implicated in the start of the fires.

The San Diego Union-Tribune (https://bit.ly/1Vi1C1W ) says the proposed 90-10 split is modeled after a previous state decision on a hazardous waste cleanup effort.

Several consumer groups have objected to previous attempts by SDG&E; to bill customers for the wildfires.


Information from: The San Diego Union-Tribune, https://www.utsandiego.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide