- Associated Press - Saturday, September 26, 2015

LONDON (AP) - Harry Kane scored his first goal of the season for Tottenham as Spurs roared back from a goal down to hammer early title favorite Manchester City 4-1 in the Premier League on Saturday.

City dominated the first half and took a deserved lead at White Hart Lane through Kevin De Bruyne in the 25th minute.

But Eric Dier rifled in a long-distance equalizer on the stroke of halftime and Erik Lamela curled over a free kick for Toby Alderweireld to head home five minutes after the re-start.

Kane, who had yet to find the net for Tottenham after scoring 31 times last season, finally ended his drought in the 61st and Lamela was rewarded for a fine performance with a goal on the break in the 79th.

As morale-boosting as the victory will be for Kane and his teammates, the early kickoff provided yet another reality check for big-spending City.

After a perfect start to the season with five consecutive league victories, City has now lost three of its last four games in all competitions, with injuries and a loss of form clearly playing their part.

City had goalkeeper Joe Hart on the bench in north London, with Wilfredo Caballero picked between the posts, while captain Vicent Kompany’s place at center half went to Nicolas Otamendi. With Yaya Toure being replaced early in the second half because of a hamstring injury, City had lost the spine of its strongest side.

By that stage, Toure’s team was already in deep trouble after making an impressive start to a game that featured several poor offside decisions.

City took the lead after Spurs had lost possession at the other end. Toure led the breakaway before slipping the ball to De Bruyne, who was fractionally offside as he smacked an angled shot past Caballero.

The Belgium international’s third goal in three league starts for the club he joined from Wolfsburg for a reported 50 million pounds ($77 million) suggests his transfer fee was money well-spent.

By contrast, another of City’s big signings, Raheem Sterling, was far less effective with his efforts all afternoon.

Even so, Spurs were struggling to keep up until Dier conjured a goal from nothing.

Caballero did well to parry Son Heung-min’s shot from close range after Kyle Walker had whipped in a low cross from an offside position on the right.

But a stray forward pass by De Bruyne, after the ball had bobbled free, allowed Dier to blast a low shot in off the post from 35 meters.

Not surprisingly. Tottenham came out for the second half with a lot more belief and soon took the lead with the help from some poor goalkeeping.

Lamela pitched his free kick into the box and Caballero was left in no-man’s land between Alderweireld and his goal line as the Spurs defender jumped highest to the nod the ball home.

The hosts were on a roll and the next goal wasn’t long in coming.

Martin Demichelis, who had been booked for dissent at halftime, was lucky to stay on the pitch after an ugly challenge on Lamela as the Argentina midfielder surged toward the City area.

Christian Eriksen clipped the resulting free kick against the joint of post and crossbar from 25 meters, and Kane, from an offside position, was able to steer the rebound into an empty net, with Caballero on the floor.

Lamela completed the misery for City on the break, collecting a cross from Clinton Njie on the right before rounding Caballero and swatting the ball into the net.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide