- Associated Press - Sunday, September 27, 2015

EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - Authorities say an off-duty firefighter in Eugene helped two neighbors escape a fire in their home.

Eugene Springfield Fire Department fire engineer Jesse Gill lives two houses away. Gill heard a commotion outside late Saturday night and looked outside to see a glow coming from the home. He rushed over and found smoke starting to fill the house.

The fire started in a faulty water heater on the back deck and quickly spread toward the house and into the attic. The husband of the couple was fighting the fire from a glass sliding door, and Gill managed to get the door shut and helped get the husband and wife out of the home.

The fire was brought under control within about half an hour. Damage is estimated at $110,000.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide