- Associated Press - Sunday, September 27, 2015

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Church officials say a small fire overnight at the seminary where Pope Francis was staying was quickly extinguished and caused no injuries.

Archdiocese of Philadelphia spokesman Ken Gavin said the fire shortly late Saturday night “stemmed from a wiring issue in an elevator shaft in the kitchen” of the St. Charles Borromeo seminary just outside Philadelphia.

Gavin said Sunday there were no evacuations and Francis was in no danger.

It wasn’t immediately clear how close the kitchen is to the converted dormitory where the pope was staying.

Two nearby fire companies declined to say whether they responded, saying no official authorized to comment was available.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide