- Associated Press - Tuesday, September 29, 2015

MITCHELL, S.D. (AP) - Investigators have determined that a water heater and clothing sparked an apartment building fire Saturday night in Mitchell that displaced five families.

Assistant Fire Chief Paul Morris tells The Daily Republic newspaper (https://bit.ly/1O5wnZ5 ) that the fire started in the basement boiler room when clothing next to a hot water heater ignited after the water heater turned on.

No one was hurt in the fire. The Red Cross is helping the affected families.

The building’s owners say that before the fire, someone entered the boiler room, vandalized it, took a guitar and left a hunting jacket next to the water heater, which caught fire.

___

Information from: The Daily Republic, https://www.mitchellrepublic.com

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide